Lawn weed - what is it pic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My lawn has recently developed clumps of the following weeds. They develop long stems with a yellow flower. How do I eradicate them if that is at all possible?

Thanks.

Mutley 56
View media item 47067

Sponsored Links
hypochoeris radicata
Hypochoeris.radicata.ja1.jpg

how to get rid of it! napalm

as merlin said its 'cat's ear' any decent lawn selective like verdone should kill it but check the bottle as they will have a list of things that it will definately kill on each product.

Hairy cat's ear is difficult to control chemically because it is resistant to several herbicides. However, application of MCPA salt or ester or a 2, 4-D herbicide in the fall or in early spring may be effective in inhibiting its growth. MCPA-salt or ester kills a variety of broadleaf weeds like hairy cat's ear. This is safer on crops like oats, flax and peas than 2,4-D herbicide, but it still poses a risk of drifting to nearby crops such as turnips, grapes and cabbage that may be vulnerable to damage by the herbicide. 2, 4-D herbicide is more ideal for controlling hairy cat's ear in lawns because it is selective, attacking the weeds and not your grass. It is absorbed into the plant and works well to inhibit growth in deep-rooted weeds. Use of 2, 4-D herbicides in your gardens can kill vegetables and some flowers. If treating your lawn for hairy cat's ear, avoid letting the spray drift to other areas where desirable plants might be affected.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies merlin50 and r896neo.

Looks like I've got a battle on my hands. I've got to try as I think it might overpower my lawn.

Cheers.

Mutley56

Cut the grass then give it a 'lawn weed & feed'. Wait 2 weeks and your grass should be looking a lot better.

Andy

Thanks Andy, sorry for delay in acknowledging reply. i dug a lot of the offending weeds out and expect to do the same a few more times to win the war.

Mutley56

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back