Lawnmower tyre keeps deflating even after replacing

Sponsored Links
Best way ive found to tell if a thorn is poking through on the inside is to rub a soft rag around the inside in both directions , it will catch if one is present without nicking you finger..its done both ways cos if its gone through at an angle its harder to feel.

Sponsored Links
Show us a picture of the rim and tyre, so that we can give you targeted, relevant advice

One of these little fellas has served me well for the last 30 years:

Thanks for the reminder that I already have one of those, but too late...

Wheel barrow had developed a flat, tubed, but I struggled to get a cycle puncture patch to actually stick to the tube.

Sick of faffing with those, so now I shove on one of these:
Comes with a universal bushing kit that fits nowt, but I can usually come up with something!
Soft enough to bump up planks, etc.
John :)

The old wheel might be rusty or corroded. This prevents the tyre sealing. It will be difficult to smooth it off without removing the tyre.

Is it possible to get a spare wheel?

Old ones can be painted, but you would have to bake it or leave it for a very long time to harden and gas off solvents.

Tubeless tyres usually have it marked “tubeless” on the side

So I found the tyre flat again when I came to do a cut after all the rain (and rain, and rain). This time I noticed that as I unscrewed the type cap, I heard a quiet hiss of escaping air. After pumping the tyre up and removing the pump, it was much louder. It stopped when I put the cap back on.
So I'm guessing this is saying the valve itself is the culprit... it really shouldn't be the valve cap that's keeping the air in!

I also think I got mixed up last time when I said it's the new tyre which is leaking, because only one was flat this time and it's clearly not a new one :)
Is it able to tell from this photo if there's an inner tube on this one?

1691656343418.png

I thought you could tell by the valve. Tubeless have a big rubber seal, and tubed a screw down metal collar

But yours seems to have neither

I think you need to wire brush, derust and repaint the wheel over winter.

Theres a tube in the tyre, quite a few tubeless tyres I come across on ride on mowers have had tubes fitted when the rim rusts preventing an airtight seal. I would try fitting some new valve cores

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back