Lay external slate tiles directly onto insulating board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to lay a small (6sqm) patio. I wondered if can lay my slate tiles directly onto Marmox or Wedi insulating backer board?

I would like to do it this way because it's for a small roof terrace and I'd like to keep the weight down - if I can avoid using a mortar or cement bed I will save a lot of weight.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
when you say its a "roof terrace"..what is the substrate made of?...

Hi tictic - the substrate will be 100mm of kingspan h350r - this is a completely waterproof insulation foam. I was going to lay the tiles on 50mm of concrete mix on top of the kingspan but the marmot would save me a lot of weight.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Rarem
It doesn't sound as though the base is going to be that stable so I'd suggest using an exterior ply, Ditra matting (or similar) and a good adhesive like 'Rapidflex' from Nicobond with a high quality flexible grout.

The base must have NO movement whatsoever, other than minimal flexing or expansion/contraction.

Mike Lyons

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back