Lay new on top of old Patio Surface?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the correct area, but I am looking for some advice on a patio.

Basically I have concrete outside of my patio doors and I was wondering whether I would need to smash it up in order to add slabs, or whether I could just build on top of it?

I have attached an image of it to try and help.

Any suggestions and help on this as this is all new to me would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
I had a similar situation at my last house I laid slabs on dabs of cement worked OK just check you have enough clearance for your DPC.

I've done it too - no problem. Ripping it up just to have to put down a "stable" base would be a waste of money (its about as stable as you could ask for!). Unless you're planning on using it as a driveway, then all bets are off

From the pic it looks like 9inch brickwork .
where does the rain drain away? As it looks very level in the photo.

If it was my house and i wanted to do this I'd probably remove the strip of concrete at the wall and fit an Acco drain .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I have uploaded two images of the brickwork to help decipher the clearance for the DPC.

In terms of drainage, I assume this is done via the gap in the concrete. If you look at the picture where the outside mat is, there is a line that goes the entire length and I assume this is where is gets drained?

As I am wanting to extend this area into the grass, what's the best idea - would it be to concrete to the same level as the rest as the base, then build on top of this?

Appreciate everyones help!

Attachments

• patio_image2.jpg
    patio_image2.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 110
  • patio_image.jpg
    patio_image.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 103

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back