Layered MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a 2'x2'x1' hollow egg-shaped structure from MDF by gluing layer upon layer of circumferential cutouts. I would like it to look like sandstone and will ultimately urethane it. But, how do I cover up the fine layer lines? Is there a recipe of glue + water+ MDF dust that would cover & seal it?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo buster99 and welcome :D:D:D

how are you finnishing the "egg"!!!!!

in general if you oversize it and sand down to size if painted you wont see the joints

if you use pva glue and dust the resulting "filler" will be extremely hard and wont match the colour off the mdf

The problem with multi layers of MDF is that the outer surface of each sheet is denser than the core when you come to sand to final shape the "soft" centers sand faster than the joints.

I would apply a layer of epoxy wood filler (car body filler/ bondo) to the whole iten then carefully sand with your paper on a cork or similar block.

Jason

Wow, you guys are fast.
For finishing, I was thinkig of just using a semigloss urethane so it would look like sandstone. My trials on scrap pieces glued together seem to indicate that the MDF really soaks the urethane up. So, I am now thinking that some sealer would be a good move.

I don't know about pva glue, but what about ordinary cabinet maker's glue, or white glue that dries clear?

The point about the interior of the MDF being softer is quite true. I've had to variously use sandpaper, a rasp/file, and a rotary tool to sculpt as necessary. I don't need it to be absolutely smooth, and some roughness actually fits the look.

By the way, this thing is really an end table - imagine the irregularly shaped 'egg' (or is it a boulder?) but with flat top and bottom surfaces. The egg is irregularly open to the hollow interior on one side, and a shelf is situated halfway up.

Sponsored Links
i love the green treated mdf for that purpose have made several boxes with compartments and the finnished well sanded and routerd edge looks great like a stone finnish :LOL:

the purpose was to display "basic " rock " [stone] samples in a natural looking case

perhaps a light brush with a coloured stain or varnish would give a grainy looking texture ;)

trial and error are your best freinds:cool:

A few coats of "sanding sealer" will help stop any finish from soaking in.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back