Laying 6mm MDF ready for carpeting... expansion gaps needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise that similar questions have been raised before, but I couldn't find a definitive answer to my question which is why I'm starting a new thread...

Basically, I'm laying six millimetre MDF boards (8' by 4') onto existing floorboards, to give me a nice flat surface to carpet onto. I'm screwing the boards down onto the floorboards (countersunk, natch...) but am unsure as to whether I need to leave expansion gaps around each board, or whether I can butt each board directly onto the others (which to me would seem to give the best surface for carpeting). I've heard that it's best to wet the boards before putting them down so that they contract and tighten into place as they dry out... yes? If so, how much water, and how long to leave them for?

I'm going to be fixing the skirting afterwards, by the way, but assume that, since the boards are fixed rather than floating, a large expansion gap around the perimeter of the rooms won't be necessary (unlike laying laminate, say).

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
i dont think mdf likes water, once water gets in it it expands and buckles, but ive never used it below a floor.

Hmmm, now you mention it, that might have been advice for hardboard rather than mdf! :oops:

Sponsored Links
LONESOMESOUND said:
I've heard that it's best to wet the boards before putting them down so that they contract and tighten into place as they dry out... yes? If so, how much water, and how long to leave them for?
If you mean hardboard then 1 pint of water per 8'x4' sheet

and make sure you do, cos if you dont its really funny hoovering over a bumpy floor!

Thanks for the replies guys, but I still need an answer as to whether I should leave gaps or not!!! Sorry for the impatience but I am under pressure here :-/ As before, grateful for any help. Cheers, Martin

LONESOMESOUND said:
Thanks for the replies guys, but I still need an answer as to whether I should leave gaps or not!!! Sorry for the impatience but I am under pressure here :-/ As before, grateful for any help. Cheers, Martin
No need to have gaps.

and fix the skirting before you lay the carpet as well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back