Laying A Garden Patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Is it necessary to have cement with sharp sand as a base, or can I just use sharp sand, and use the cement for the grouting?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you just lay the slabs on sharp sand, they will be all over the place in a very short time. You need to dig out & lay 3"-4” of MOT type 1 crushed concrete for a base, compact it with a wacker plate & then bed the slabs on a week sand/cement mix. Better to point with a standard wet mortar mix rather than a dry mix & hosing it down.

If you just lay the slabs on sharp sand, they will be all over the place in a very short time. You need to dig out & lay 3"-4” of MOT type 1 crushed concrete for a base, compact it with a wacker plate & then bed the slabs on a week sand/cement mix. Better to point with a standard wet mortar mix rather than a dry mix & hosing it down.

ok thanx, but when i lay the weak sand/cement mix do i spray with water before laying them

Sponsored Links
ok thanx, but when i lay the weak sand/cement mix do i spray with water before laying them
No use a moist or wet mix, not dry mix; on ragingly hot days, you can give the base a light mist spray before you start but don’t overdo it. Compact the base (hire a waker plate) & providing it’s just a patio with no heavy loading, use a 9:1 mix. Lay the slabs with 5 generious dabs per slab to allow for levelling & give a good bed; make sure you have a fall to allow rain water to drain away properly. Fall away from any walls & the slabs should be at least 150mm below any damp course; for pointing up, use a 4/5:1 semi-wet mix mortar & compact it well into the gaps.

If you are using natural stone it is best to lay them on a full bed rather than dabs of any variety.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back