Laying a patio on top of a solid concrete base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ladies and Gents,
Please help me settle a long standing disagreement with my wife.

What would you do when laying a new patio? We have an absolutely rock solid 8ftx8ft concrete patio with no cracks or weaknesses and about a 3ftx16ft path down the garden to a similar standard. My personal preference is to just lay on top of the already rock solid foundations, however my wife is insisting that we dig the entire concrete patio and path out to then lay ton after ton of gravel in to compact then patio it all.

What would you do?

Im probably looking to lay slate (or similar) on top of the concrete not slabs or block paving

Any ideas welcome
Phil

Sponsored Links
Right, so judging by that, I'm fine to lay on top of concrete, as long as it doesn't interfere with DPC or laying on already flagged area (which Im not, its a solid concrete pad).

Just don't want to break my back hammering out probably 5+ ton of solid concrete then barrow in tons of aggregate when its not necessary to do so.

Phil

Sponsored Links
It means I spend about 6 weekends breaking my back breaking out an area of 100 square foot of solid concrete......not happening

If "we" insist on digging out the concrete then suggest that "we" get the gloves, ear defenders, goggles and breakers out and that "we" shift all the rubble into the skips, "we" barrow the new material in, "we" lay the new patio.

If "we" doesn't want to get (her) dirty hands then suggest that "we" shut up and leave "you" to get on with it!

1) Arrange for your wife to go and stay with someone for a while, and not tell anybody beforehand or contact anybody (friends, family etc) whilst away.

2) Dig some of it out (preferably at odd hours) and re-concrete, then slap down some really cheap paving.

3) Be very evasive and shifty-sounding when any friend/relative phones for her, and turn away any that visit.

Before long a team of guys will arrive and dig it all up FOC.

:LOL:

Sometimes it's just better to keep the "we" out of it. I'd laid about 14 concrete posts "line straight" over the last couple of weeks. Asked the wife to help hold the line for the last one as I had to remove the post holding the line. Just about to put the concrete in and had a last look. It was about 20-30mm out. She hadn't quite grasped that the post should be taken to the line and not that the line should be bent to the post :)

Still not entirely sure what she thought the line was for. Thanked her for her time and re-pegged a new poll to hold the line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back