Laying a solid wood floor

spb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought 32 sq metres of solid oak floor, however I am having trouble finding someone to fit it this side of Xmas, so I am considering fitting it myself. (I would class myself as a competent DIYer). Half will be over a wooden suspended floor and half on an ashphalted solid floor. I understand that the flooring over the ashphalt must be glued and over the wooden floor nailed. I was told by the woodyard that the glue should only be applied to the bottom of the oak and not the tongue and grooves, and that it should be left for at least a week in the room it is to be fitted into, in order to acclimatize. Other than that, does anyone have any other tips?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Ensure there is an expansion gap all round the room.

make sure the transition from wood to asphalt is perfectly flat other whise you have a nasty obvious lump.

Thanks for those two. I am a bit confused about glueing the tongues or not. The woodyard has said that this product is not suitable to lay as a floating floor, therefore do not glue the tongues. However every website I have visited (eg www.wood4floors.co.uk) has said to glue tongues all around the boards. But is this instruction only applicable to floating floors?

Anybody know?

Sponsored Links
spb said:
Half will be over a wooden suspended floor and half on an ashphalted solid floor. I understand that the flooring over the ashphalt must be glued and over the wooden floor nailed. I was told by the woodyard that the glue should only be applied to the bottom of the oak and not the tongue and grooves,
Re underfloors, for starters see here and here.
As for glueing the wood on concrete: apply the adhesive to the concrete, not the floorboards and use a notched trowel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back