Laying a water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on laying a water supply to my new house which has a lead supply currently. So it will be a brand new MDPE 32mm supply running about 60 metres.

I'm hiring a digger with a driver to dig a trench. Never done this kind of stuff before so any advice appreciated. Think I need the following materials wise.. have I missed anything?

So far I've listed the following
  1. 32mm MDPE (minimum 60 metres length)
  2. 32mm mdpe pipe clips
  3. 32mm mdpe pipe inserts
  4. 32mm mdpe stop end (for exposed end of mdpe for water board connection)
  5. 32mm to 15mm stop cock
  6. 110mm soil bend (to go through foundations of house) https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-double-socket-bend-87-5-110mm/12960
  7. 110mm soil pipe https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-underground-drainage-pipe-3m/25648
  8. 110mm seal for soil pipe https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-110mm/51416
  9. Pipe insulation - closed cell (for 32mm MDPE)
  10. Sharp sand for covering the pipe in the trench
After I've covered the pipe with sharp sand in the trench, do I just use the soil that was dug out to fill it back up again?

Also, How do I dispose of left over soil? presumably will need a skip?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks ok. Don't buy an insert for the street end, the stopend is only to keep muck out. Why are you going from 32 to 15, why not 22? You need a drain cock just after the stop tap. You might struggle to get 32mm through that bend, a rest bend might be easier.

Just a thin layer of sand to cover pipe, most of the spoil will go back in, try and flatten it down even few inches - buy a punner.

I didn't bother with any sand at all in mine. I think the sand is just to protect the pipe from rocks and sharp objects in the ground when you fill back in. If you're just digging into soft clay/earth, what would be the point?

Mine was all soft clay and I didn't bother with any sand at all. Waterboard man had no issues with it. Just depends on what you're digging into.

As above re. stepping down to 15mm, you'd be better off with 22mm and a decent full bore lever valve, particularly if you're having a mains pressure water system.

Sponsored Links
Initial backfill needs to be carefully selected, no sharp stones, big lumps, anything that could damage or crush the pipe, hence why sand is often used.

32-15mm is a hell of a step down, 25mm MDPE may be ample unless your supplying a hotel. Look at the Insuduct system, may be easier than breaking up the floor to get the supply into the building. INSUduct | GroundBreaker Systems

Still planning for this.. thinking about how I'm gonna lay the pipe. The run is about 60 metres. So the route requires two 90 degree bends of the 32mm MDPE.. how am I going bend the MDPE?

Or for that matter how am I gonna straighten it? It's on a coil at the moment and looks pretty tough!

I've got 100m of 32mm mdpe in a coil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back