Laying astro over soft concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just signed up to the forum after a bit of advice with my garden. It was all slabbed but now took some up and want to put some astro down.

Under the slabs there is a soft layer of concrete, more of a mortar and rubble mix used as the foundations for the slabs.
I'm thinking of keeping it there to save on effort digging up and disposal costs and then will need to fill with something else.

I've looked at a few guides and how to guides. And came up with my own plan.

Drill multiple 16-20mm holes in the current concrete evenly spaced to allow for water drainage. Fill these holes with pea gravel to try and stop the astro sinking into the holes. Build a treated timber frame around the perimeter. Line the frame with a weed membrane. Fill over the top with sharp sand and Wacker plate level. Lay astro on top gluing it to the frame or nailing.

Any help is appreciated thank you

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back