LAYING CARPET TILES - BADLY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PLEASE HELP !

I AM LAYING TUFTED PILE BITUMEN BACKED CARPET TILES TOTAL THICKNESS 6.5 mm. THE FLOORS ARE UNEVEN SO I'VE COVERED THEM WITH HARDBOARD AND NAILED ALL OVER, I WAS TOLD DOUBLESIDED TAPE WOULD BE ALL THAT WAS REQUIRED...
I HAVE SERIOUS DOUBTS ABOUT THIS AS INSTEAD OF ACHIEVING AN ALL OVER SEAM FREE LOOK I CAN IDENTIFY EVERY LINE OF TILES IN BOTH DIRECTIONS FROM ANY ANGLE IN THE ROOM.
CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A BETTER WAY TO ACHIEVE A GOOD FINISH?

:(

Sponsored Links
LADYDIYER said:
THE FLOORS ARE UNEVEN SO I'VE COVERED THEM WITH HARDBOARD AND NAILED ALL OVER
WHAT TYPE OF FLOORING DO YOU HAVE? T&G, T&G CHIPBOARD, OR CONCRETE FLOOR SCREED ETC.

THANKS MASONA FOR THAT QUICK REPLY.
THEY ARE T&G, THE HOUSE IS 170 YEARS OLD SO THE FLOORS ARE FULL OF GAPS AND SOME ARE WARPED. :confused:

I was winding you up with the capital letters, it's considered shouting ;)

Well, the floor 170 years old might need looking at first, might be an idea to rip the flooring out and renew with T&G chipboards with glue on the joints to give you a perfect flat floor before put the vinyl floor on. You will have endless problem specially with warped floor even with hardboard on top.

If you don't fancy that route, put in extra screw in floorboard and use a floor belt sander from the hire shop and level out all the warped boards.

Sponsored Links
masona said:
I was winding you up with the capital letters, it's considered shouting ;)

Well, the floor 170 years old might need looking at first, might be an idea to rip the flooring out and renew with T&G chipboards with glue on the joints to give you a perfect flat floor before put the vinyl floor on. You will have endless problem specially with warped floor even with hardboard on top.

If you don't fancy that route, put in extra screw in floorboard and use a floor belt sander from the hire shop and level out all the warped boards.
Thanks for keeping right on the protocol masona, I'm not really used to forums, pathetic, I know.

This is all sounding very serious and time consumming. I do agree that hardboard is not really the answer, T&G chipboard would be more stable.
Thanks again masona. :oops:

If you wanted to, you could use a 10mm insulated board with laminate flooring instead of vinyl tiles.

I've used carpet tiles twice. The first time, I used Heuga tiles and although more expensive there were no joins visible. The second time, I was doing a house to sell and had been offered some cheap ones. The joins showed with the pile all in the same direction so I turned each adjacent tile through 90° to it's neighbour, to give a deliberate checked appearance. The difference in quality between these and Heuga was very noticeable.

shaggy said:
I've used carpet tiles twice. The first time, I used Heuga tiles and although more expensive there were no joins visible. The second time, I was doing a house to sell and had been offered some cheap ones. The joins showed with the pile all in the same direction so I turned each adjacent tile through 90° to it's neighbour, to give a deliberate checked appearance. The difference in quality between these and Heuga was very noticeable.
Thanks for that "shaggy".....you've saved my bacon, I've been on my knees all morning (too much information)!!!! Seriously, many thanks. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back