laying chipboard flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my flooring on the way but having never done this before I'm a bit lost on the best way to lay it, people keep telling me different things

the flooring is 18mm t&g p5 and going onto 200x75 joists

what screw type ,diameter & length ,should I use?
what ctrs should I put them in at?
do I need to noggin them?
should I glue them to the joists as well as in the joining edges?
what is the best way to cut them for staggering without shredding them?
should I pilot the holes before screwing?

I'm also going to stick some roll insulation in but the floor will be up before the ceiling,what can I do to hold it in?

Sponsored Links
I have my flooring on the way but having never done this before I'm a bit lost on the best way to lay it, people keep telling me different things

the flooring is 18mm t&g p5 and going onto 200x75 joists

what screw type ,diameter & length ,should I use? Min twice the thickness of the chipboard, not less than size 8
what ctrs should I put them in at? Max 300mm
do I need to noggin them?Yes, around the room perimeter
should I glue them to the joists as well as in the joining edges? Yes
what is the best way to cut them for staggering without shredding them?No problem with sharp saw/circular saw
should I pilot the holes before screwing? Depends on the screw type or floor finish. try a screw and see if it goes in flush

I'm also going to stick some roll insulation in but the floor will be up before the ceiling,what can I do to hold it in?You could leave out the insulation until the ceiling is going up then support it on some nails into the joists

All from NHBC Standards

thanks

any screw type recommendations or will any wood screw be ok?

when you say noggin the perimeter could you please expand on why this is needed?

what kind of glue seems to be the preference for the joins and for fixing to the joists?

No particular screw type, just get something of decent quality.

Noggins aren't required below tongue and groove along the long edge (I'm assuming they're T&G) as the boards will support each other. This isn't the case around the perimeter and as such boards may bounce a bit with no support.

Again no preference for the glue, I would go for decent quality white PVA wood glue, nothing too cheap.

Sponsored Links
thanks

I won't bother with the nogging then as any unsuported periphery won't be an area that gets walked on

thanks

I won't bother with the nogging then as any unsuported periphery won't be an area that gets walked on

It may not get walked on . . . .

But it will get beds and wardrobes standing on it.

Suggest you put noggins in as advised to avoid future problems

I understand, but there's only an inch or 2 either side of the joists running parallel to them and the ends of the room are under the eaves so a good few feet will never have any load , the entrance to the room has overlapping joists from another room which will support the flooring further

is it worth putting anything in the 1 -2 " gaps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back