Laying concrete base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We would like to build a small 'lean to' shed/shelter in our garden which would simply provide storage for the lawn mower etc.

This would be right against the back of the neighbors wall (they are fine with the idea), is it normal to lay the base so that the concrete goes right up against their wall, or is it good practice to separate with something like a layer of plastic so that it doesn't attach to their brickwork?

I'm sure it sounds like a daft question but it feels wrong to lay concrete against somebody else's wall?

Also, are there any rules with drilling in to our side of the neighbors wall? (they are fine with it, but I wondered what the regulations are, if any at all?)

EDIT: I assume there is a damp level to check on their wall as well?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes separate the slab from the wall with polythene, plastic, polystyrene board or something. This should be kept below the DPC level and the structure generally not permit damp to breach the DPC or otherwise cause dampness to the wall.

The neighbour owns the wall and its a private matter whether he lets you fix to it or not.

How enclosed will the lean to be? Do you intend doing a proper job on the roof and chasing some lead flashing in to their brickwork? If not, or if you have open sides at all, then it's likely you might have the odd pool of water on the floor so should consider making your base a course iof bricks lower than their Dpc, or even a 5cm gap between your base and their wall.

What are your ground levels like relative to their Dpc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back