Laying a concrete slab against wall of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to lay a concrete slab between my driveway and the front wall of the house.

It will only support the weight of a motorcycle.

I intend to dig down about 40cm, compact hardcore to 30cm and lay concrete 10cm thick. Do you feel this will be adequate?

Also, would it be ok to lay the concrete against the brick wall or will i need to place a piece of wood between?

Any guidance, including any points I may not have considered, would be great.

I have uploaded a picture of the area to be concreted.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would say that digging only 100mm will suffice and put back 100mm of conc'. The chances are that there is hard core beneath this area also. Regardless of hard core, it will be 'locked in' anyhow.

My main concern is that low level gas meter box and what you intend doing there.

I would say that digging only 100mm will suffice and put back 100mm of conc'. The chances are that there is hard core beneath this area also. Regardless of hard core, it will be 'locked in' anyhow.

My main concern is that low level gas meter box and what you intend doing there.

Thanks for your reply.

With regards to the gas meter box, I was going to dig round it and leave whatever is beneath it in place. Do you think that is a bad idea?

Provided they can still lift the lid i guess it will be ok.

If there are exposed connections to or from the actual meter then i would suggest building a small retainer around the box allowing say a 100mm clear perimeter.

Build it from solid engineering bricks or shutter it.

Sponsored Links
Provided they can still lift the lid i guess it will be ok.

If there are exposed connections to or from the actual meter then i would suggest building a small retainer around the box allowing say a 100mm clear perimeter.

Build it from solid engineering bricks or shutter it.

Ok, thanks. I'll take that into consideration once I've dug the ground and can see what's going on.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back