Laying conservatory base over existing patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been toing and froing over this as i know it's a bodge

I have a 2 x 2.5 metre conservatory to put up in my yard

The plan was to remove the flags and leave the existing concrete path and put a slab over the top

This would create a step under the base but the levels would be 10cm and 15cm

However, i have lots of bricks from putting the double doors in and quite a few lying around

My thought to save money and get rid of the bricks, build the base out of the bricks on top of the existing flags

I have enough bricks to fill the area one brick high

I could fill and smooth the surface afterwards ready for laying tiles

My thoughts are the flags are firm. They have been there many years. I have lifted two and ground is firm below

The bricks would be mortared to the ground and the conservatory screwed in to the bricks

The conservatory isn't particular heavy

What i don't like is the bodge of it all but if the flags don't move, which i think they won't, i don't know a really good reason not to

This is the spot
jz8UyQo.jpg

Sponsored Links
its one thing to consider laying a new concrete slab on the paving and thats a bit of a bodge.

To consider throwing down some bricks and 'smoothing over it' and then tiling that mess is quite another and guaranteed to fail quickly.

Sponsored Links
Yes i'm not sure about that

Each brick would be mortared in place equal in height and butting up longways with its neigbour

In that case there shouldn't be any dips, troughs or gaps

Some of the bricks might have those circular holes (i'm not sure what they're called) so i wonder, if the bricks privide a flat surface, is there some kind of board i could place over them to provide a uniform floor for tiles

I'm not necessarily going to do this i am just trying to think it through

Either have a suspended floor or use a concrete slab. Trying to use the bricks plan is going to leave you voids that are wildly variable so any kind of screed or self leveling compound you put on it is going to crack.

The minimum concrete you could use for a slab is 75mm but 100 would be a much safer bet. You see you need to damp proof the slab which is the other reason yours bricks plan won't work. you could use a surface dpm but that will not handle the crack that will develop.

In an ideal world your floor slab make up should be something like

100mm compacted hardcore sub base (optional but advised)
dpm
100mm kingspan
dpm
100mm concrete
Then floor finish, like tiles

On a proper building the concrete is often at the bottom then insulation then screed but its probably not needed for a conservatory.

Might be a good idea to repost in the building section.

You need to use a material that is rigid and strong enough to support itself and span any minor settlement. Concrete or at a push screed are your only choices.

what where you planning to attached the tiles too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back