Laying Engineered wood on cracked vinyl tiles - needs leveling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be laying some engineered wood on to vinyl tiles which I imagine are likely to contain asbestos. The vast majority of them are in good condition however around the perimeter of the room (hallway) some of these tiles have cracked away leaving a maximum of a 7cm gap around the wall where there are no tiles present. This means there is about a 2mm floor height difference between the area that has tiles and the area that does.

I'll be laying Cush n' Wood underlay but was wondering if the 2mm difference is going to cause issues. Being around the perimeter it's unlikely people will walk on it but I want to make sure it is done properly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Should be ok with that. It’s make by fball and good stuff. Ardex NA would be better if you can get that.

Thanks. Can i just check that SLC is the right thing to use for this? In comparison if it was on the wall I would just use filler as the area is quite small. I’ve attached an example of the worst area.

Attachments

• E96DF8DD-BAC4-4809-8EB7-BC412A0062ED.jpeg
    E96DF8DD-BAC4-4809-8EB7-BC412A0062ED.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 254
Sponsored Links
I use rapid repair. But I always have some.
Filler would be ok though if you have that. With engineered wood you would notice 2mm around the perimeter.

Are you aware of any alternatives to A45 available from the big chains? Most I've seen seem to suggest 3mm is the minimum depth. I may just have to order it online otherwise.

The house was built in 68. It has a DPM but I'll be adding a DPM sheet under the underlay anyway to be sure.

I've just got off the phone with Ardex and they've recommended using Arditex NA as it can go over the Bitumen without issues. They even said they can go over the tiles if needed.

I know you initially recommended A45 but does Arditex NA sound like a good solution to you?

Edit: Not sure how I missed it but noticed you mentioned Ardex NA at the beginning. I think I'll go with that.

Many thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back