Laying floorboards - basic question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am contemplating removing the chipboard flooring from our lounge and dining rooms and laying down tongue and groove oak floorboards.

Looking at the manufacturers pics I can see no evidence of nailing of their floorboards. I assume that they have to be, though? I spoke to a sales girl over the phone and she said - after consulting a piece of paper - that they could be just layed on the floor joists. She is wrong, I assume? Or maybe they are glued?

So, if I am right and these lovely oak boards have to be nailed, or screwed can anybody point me to some advice on how the pros do this?

Thanks.

Paul

Sponsored Links
a link to the flooring??
or if it has short lengths[less than 3m] it needs a structural floor under it

Not sure what you mean by 'a link to the flooring'?

This is for downstairs rooms. At present there is chipboard tongue and groove laying across floor joists. I could lay the new oak floor boards on top of the chipboard, but it then becomes too high.

So I am thinking about taking the chipboard floor out and laying the new oak floorboards (22mm thick tongue and groove) on top of the joists. Are you saying that this should not be done?

And if I do, do I have to nail them down? I am assuming that they cannot just be sat on top of the joists or be glued?

Screws are a definate no no , it'll look awful if rows of screw heads are visable.
If you are removing the boarding that is there and laying directly onto the joists then it will need to be nailed and your two real options are to either secret nail through the tongues or to surface fix and cut nails look best for this in my opinion.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back