Laying French pine solid wood floor over joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all (first post!), This weekend I intend to lay French Pine solid wood flooring in my lounge as a replacement for the existing floorboards which are beyond making good. The joists are around 300 mm apart except in a bay where the distance goes to 440 - 450 mm. The floor is sold as "structural grade - can be installed directly to joist" I feel the 450mm is a bit big and will probably add some "noggings" to beef it up. I intend to use a hired floor nailer with 50mm floor nails (flooring is approx 20mm thick T&G) and add a bead of PVA glue as well along the T&G. The floor is pre-finished with UV resistant Varnish. I have a good idea of the process, but have never done it before. ok, so the question is "Have I missed anything obvious" Thanks in advance for any advice. ;o)

Sponsored Links
Every board needs to connect with at least 3 joists (and it is indeed a good idea to narrow the 400 - 450 mm space)
Boards - if they at least connect with 3 joists - don't need to end on a joist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back