Laying gravel driveway and lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have got a property which has a very large area outside which i intend to cover in decorative gravel and also i want to install a grass lawn area.

As shown in the picture, there is a gate currently which has a steep sweeping brick drive leading up to the top, so i also want to make sure the stones do not get dragged down that hill.

The shed and the car cover have been moved so its now just a big open space, the floor is currently compacted hardcore and is very stable, although can be dug up with a digger no problem.

I intend to have a lawn area in the shape of a half moon from the left post of the gate, sweeping left in a curve past the decking and up to the boundry.

The rest i intend to cover in decorative chippings.

I am after advice on how to best go about doing this, particularly how deep i need to scrape the surface down and what layers etc i need to build before covering up, i am aware of the black weed sheeting i need to put down and also the covering should be about 50mm deep, what else?

The door to the house as shown in the picture has a concrete slab along the length of the house which is currently level with the flooring, so i assume i need to scrape the floor to get the levels correct to the concrete going into the house.

Any tips on how to do this all correctly would be brilliant :p, also ideas on what i need to do to lay grass, edging etc.

Look forward to your replies.

Anyone got any ideas on cost of this too, i have guessed i need about 20ton of chippings and about 15ton of subsoil for grass, which i can pull for free from the bank :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back