laying laminate flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im about to lay my new laminate and want to do the best job i possibly can,

I have no issues with expansions gaps around the edges,

Im confused as to what i do around te door fframes, in the past i have left a gap and filled with silicon to allow movement,

I also understand that the best way also is to remove the skirting boards and place them on top, will these come off easy so i can re-attach ? how do i re attach ?

I dont want to make a mess of it to be honest so any advice is much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Ideally the skirting boards are replaced after the laminate is laid....however, removing the boards will cause mess and damage to some degree, which is why people fit lengths of quarter round moulding to cover the laminate edge.
If you wish to remove your skirting, choose a short length area which will be easier to repair - that will give you some idea of how it is fixed.
John :)

Hi,

When laying a laminate through doorways you should use a tennon saw to cut the doorjamb and architrave. Sometimes the architraves are not deep enough so you will have to use a silicone to fill the gaps.

Having your skirting on top of your flooring looks better than having scotia. If you take off your existing skirting it is better to replace it with new as you will probably split the original skirting as you lever it off the wall.

A good tip is if you have white skirting board the use a white scotia. The scotia looks like its part of the skirting, and the skirting is sitting on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back