Laying laminate. Towards window or across floor boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Laying laminate in the bedroom and read it best to lay from the left habd corner heading towards the light source. I did this last time and had a bit of trouble at the end with thin strips needing laid so was quite awkwards.

Now i have read to also lay them across existing floor boards. If i do this it will be the opposite to the above.

Which one should i do?

On entering the room now the laminate is lying length ways away from the door towards the window but at the other end is a cupboard on adjacent wall where the laminate enters the cupboard across the door (Same way as the door plate/profile would go).

The direction in which it runs into the cupboard seems the more natural so if this was done across the floor boards i think it would be alot easier to lay as there will not be as much intricate work. Though it will contradict heading towards the light.

Any ideas which is the best way?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is common practice to go with the window facing the length of the boards so light shows down it and not across all the joints but in any case you need to go with what you are happiest with and which is easiest for you. Either way is not right or wrong as such, it's just that one is preferred, if possible ,over the other. Do what you feel is best given the room you have to lay it in.

If you decide to install in the same direction of the existing floorboards, it's best to lay hardboard sheets first - diagonal. This will reduce any effect of uneven existing floorboards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back