Laminate Flooring - which way round

EJA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Starting to worry myself now, I’d be grateful for your help and advice.

I’m going to put down some of that easiloc, or click loc laminate flooring in my daughters bedroom. (it’s cheap and I can’t afford a dearer alternative)
I’ve read up as much as I can on the internet etc and I’m not sure what to do. – the recommendation seems to be that you lay the boards at right angles to the existing floor boards, and this makes sense. However it also says that the boards should be laid in lines towards the window. In my house the existing boards lay that way already. I’m using a 7mm woodfibre? underlay board. Will it matter that the laminate is going the same way as the existing floor boards.? I’ve seen on one web site something about laying the underlay at 45 degrees to the existing boards, is this normal practise and should I be doing this.

The other thing that has me puzzled is how I finish off at the door
The room is this shape with the door in the little recess

Window wall
_________
I . . . . . . . I
I.. . . . . . . I
I . . . . . . . I
I . . . . . . . I-----
I------------------ door

I’ll be laying from the long wall back towards the door alcove. How do I get the last board to lock into place but also fit under the architrave. The instructions say that I must have the 10mm expansion gap at the door way and I can’t figure out how it’s done.

I’d be really grateful for your help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you can lay the same way as your floorboards if there smooth and flat. The fibre board will help this, and yes it should be laid diagonal so that the joints of the subfloor and new floor dont end up on top of each other (more stable basically)

You need to cut the bottom of your door frame out to get the boards under. Use a off cut or a laminate board upside down as a guide to run your hand saw on. You will have expansion underneath the frame plus the board will slide uder for a nice finish!

To get the last board in, you need to remove the lock system of the tongue. Use a sharp chisle. Check on another board that it will slide together ok and then pva glue the tongue and groove to hold in place in the door way.

Thanks Mattysupra - the door was giving me all sorts of worries, it sounds so simple when you know how. Thanks again - hopefully will get the floor finished at the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back