Laying laminate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, while laying laminate flooring I've realised that one end of the room is nearly 2" wider. I've just put 3 rows down. Is it best just to run the boards parallel with the longest wall or is there something else I should be doing? The final row will run along a wall including a door.

Sponsored Links
you lay the first three rows out along the first wall square to the room, NOT the skirting, then scribe along the skirting edge onto the flooring with a pencil.

This will give you a wonky line down the entire first row following the skkirting edge.

Lift all the flooring.

Cut the edge of the laminate on the first row that you have scribed with a jigsaw. Now refit the rows, the expansion gap will be uniform along the skirting and the floor will be straight to the room, continue fitting the floor, you will need to do something similar before fitting the last row into place.

many thanks. Tomorrow I'll have another read of your post and give it a go. fingers crossed!

many thanks. Tomorrow I'll have another read of your post and give it a go. fingers crossed!

Remember, your skirtings won't be perfectly straight, so line the flooring up 'by eye' so it's nice and square visually, then fit the floor to the room, because the room won't fit to the floor - if that makes sense?

Sponsored Links
Panic over! all is well with the world and my laminating skills.
many thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back