Laying laminate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I need to lay underlay or anything underneath the laminate flooring? Do they need to be staggered the same on every other one or total randomly so none of its are level with each other? It'll be my first attempt . Is it easy?

Sponsored Links
It needs underlay, and rows need to be staggered, random or not, such that there is at least 30 or better 40cm overlap between the boards. And you need to leave expansion gaps on all edges, including cutouts around pipes, so best to undercut architraves.

Stagger is random or regular depending on personal choice though random is cheaper as there is less waste .Currently doing 70sq m for a friend and trying to keep some kind of pattern but due to layout not always possible .Underlay is needed either foam ( ok for ground floor ) or fibre board , best for bedrooms etc as reduces noise a little better than thin foam .
You can get circular colour matched covers to hide cuts around pipes and colour match floor sealant to hide your mistakes .

as an aside
if this is a rental or a flat often laminate is not allowed due to the noise transmitted

Sponsored Links
as an aside
if this is a rental or a flat often laminate is not allowed due to the noise transmitted

Yeah neighbours below do complain about noise from my flat. I guess replacing carpet in lounge with laminate would make it noisier

as an aside

It's a top floor flat. And yes they do complain downstairs about noise. I was going to change the carpet in my lounge to laminate with rugs but worry about this

I'd stick with carpet and maybe fit another layer of underlay. Laminate will make any movement/banging seem even louder than a threadbare carpet. Also much easier to lay than laminate and warmer under foot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back