Laying Lino in a bathroom - what to lay on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there have been a few topics but just want to get this right before I buy any materials:

Do I lay plywood or hardboard down? All DIY manuals say 6mm hardboard, but have seen a few people say plywood. Plywood is alot more expensive. Will chipboard or mdf also work?

How thick, the general consensus is 6 mm although B&Q seem to only sell 3mm thick hardboard.

What do I nail or screw it down. Have head either annular ring nails and also diamond headed panel pins. Will either of those do (and is screwing down better?)

How do I keep the lino stuck down, will double sided carpet tape along the edges do, followed by sealant?

Cheers for the help.

Sponsored Links
you will not find 6mm hardboard, its normally 3mm. plywood comes in 4mm and 6mm that a shed will sell. Plywood is far better and is stable where hardboard is not. Plywood will also level better.

Lino needs to be glued all over. I guess your talking vinyl tho (normally patterned where lino is plan and stiff as a board)

If vinyl then it should be loose laid with no adhesive, but cut a few mm short around the edge and then a silicon bead run around the edge

To secure the plywood or hardboard you need 22mm ring shank nails.

Cheers for that. I meant vinyl i.e. the stuff you buy from carpet world that comes rolled up like a carpet.

Will 3mm plywood do or should it be 6mm?

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that. I have gone for 6mm WBP ply as that seems to be the wood of choice.

I noticed people said hardboard needs treating with water before laying, is it the same with Ply and is there any thing I should know before cutting it up and nailing it down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back