1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Laying New Drain - questions.

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by a546345, 12 Jul 2015.

1. a546345

a546345

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We would like to convert part of our conservatory into a utility room, which means digging a new drain. The drain will need to take waste from a sink, and washing machine, but no toilet/shower.

Plan so far is to dig a trench as per the diagram below, to an existing manhole. Piccie of manhole attached.

Camarillo Electrical2.png

Fall will be 1:40
    Plan to then fill trench as follows

1. 100 mm of pea gravel < 15mm
    2. 110mm plastic soil pipe
    3. 100 mm of pea gravel from top of pipe
    4. backfill

My questions are

1. Do I need to provide rodding access at each change in direction (green boxes). If so, do I get a bend with an access port like this? http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-110mm-87-5-Deg-Access-Bend/p/133866. How do I get access to the access port from the surface?

2. The washing machine will probably connect to a combined trap on the sink, so there will only be 1 40mm waste pipe going into this new drain. How do I bring the 110mm up above ground (red box) and connect the 40mm pipe to it?

3. How best to do the additional connection into the manhole. The pipe will come from the left. Can the pipe enter the chamber just above the benching on the left hand side?

I haven't yet spoken to Building Control, but I will do on Monday.

IMG_20150711_175131.jpg

2. Sponsored Links
  3. mfarrow

mfarrow

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Why are you doing such a convoluted route instead of just straight down the extension and out the front?

The changes of direction will need ridding access via a mini chamber.

For the existing manhole you'll need to look at this and remember you've a foul manhole: http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain05.htm . Is that a dead leg at the top of the picture?

4. a546345

a546345

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Mfarrow. The direct route would be through the existing kitchen, so more disruption.

The top feed into the manhole is from the Kitchen - sink, dishwasher, washing machine.

The right hand side feed into the manhole is from 2 bathrooms - showers, sinks, toilets.

So at each change in direction, I need one of these? http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-d810-45-inlet-inspection-chamber-base-black/68090

The inlet is at 45 deg, not 90 deg to the outlet, so I'd also need to put a 45 deg bend on the pipe just before it enters the chamber?

5. PullerGas

PullerGas

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If there's a huge difference in the invert levels of the new & existing drains? You could always fit a 'drop shaft' or drop manhole as we'd call it, on the existing manhole. The straight route would be 100 times better as stated.
    HTH

6. mfarrow

mfarrow

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes that chamber will do. Do a search for ramped rodding points so you don't dig the full depth all the way. Two examples:

Read the Approved Document for building regulations on Drainage and Waste Disposal (Part H).

7. a546345

a546345

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies, Trench is now dug, and Building Control have been and said ok so far. They're coming back tomorrow evening to see it finished. We have run the internal waste in 40mm not 110mm, and that now pokes out of the wall underneath finished ground level.

I am not sure what type of gully/hopper to get that will allow the 40mm pipe to flow into the 110mm connection underneath ground level - could anyone post a link to an example please? The BC chap said surface water shouldn't drain into the sewer, but I can only see hoppers and gullies with a grid on top.

IMG_20150714_172918.jpg

8. mfarrow

mfarrow

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links