Laying new floor, possible damp problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just ripped up my carpet in my bedroom as I am planning on laying laminate. The back part of my house where the bedrooms are seems to get a bit damp, nothing major really just a faint fusty smell now and again.
I put it down to lack of air circulation as none of the windows have vents in them. I am now going to fit trickle vents to all my windows in the bedrooms.
Anyway I ripped up the carpet and the old underlay and noticed something that looked like salt on the concrete floor and stuck to the bottom of the underlay, I've attached some photos.
Any ideas what this is?
Also, is there something i can treat the concrete with prior to laying my laminate to prevent any further damp issues?

Attachments

• IMG_9154.JPG
    IMG_9154.JPG
    366.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9153.JPG
    IMG_9153.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_9152.JPG
    IMG_9152.JPG
    326.7 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Of course. You can forget the laminate and just smear the polythene with grease and slide about on it like a giddy child if you like. Makes no difference.

Haha that sounds like fun, not sure my girlfriend will be too impressed though!
Any recommendations on which DPM's I should use?

Since you're effectively using two DPMs I suppose it doesn't matter. If it was just one then you'd definitely want a decent thick polythene, like 1000ga.

I find trickle vents a bit rubbish to be honest. They quickly get clogged up with insects and cobwebs and only really allow a small amount of air (plus water vapour) out of the room.

What solved our problems with damp in some rooms was leaving the window locked on the catch during the day. Yes it can get cold, but if they're shut in the evening and you don't dry clothes in there, the circulation of air is much, much better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back