Laying pattern for 4 size Indian Sandstone Raj Green Slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will soon be ready to lay the Indian Sandstone Paving slabs that I have acquired. I have x2 15m² packs so a total of 30m². The area I have to cover is shown in the attached image and is not square however the area at the bottom right is square. The diagram shows the 100x100mm edging cobbles and the aco channel drains I'm going to use so the area to be paved is inside those (shown in red). My question is what is the best way of laying the slabs to achieve this? Is there a standard pattern I should be following? Are there any no-nos and things to avoid etc?

Thanks for your help,

Attachments

• Patio Plan view.PNG
    Patio Plan view.PNG
    332.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The main thing is distribute the different sizes pretty evenly, and also make sure there are no X joints, only T joints. It just looks a bit strange if you have crosses.
You can find example laying patterns online or just make it up as you go along.

The main thing is distribute the different sizes pretty evenly, and also make sure there are no X joints, only T joints. It just looks a bit strange if you have crosses.
You can find example laying patterns online or just make it up as you go along.
Thanks,

I will get planning on sketch up then. I need to count up how many slabs of each size I have as the ground worker got me them and I’m not sure if they are a complete set or not.

Some places quote the sizes as:

900 x 600
600 x 600
600 x 290
290 x 290

Others have the 290 x 290 as 295 x 295 which makes more sense as that would keep the mortar size as 10mm otherwise it would have to be 20mm. I guess there will be variation but does anyone know what the average sizes are? I will go and measure them tomorrow morning but thought I’d ask the question now on the off chance someone is still up and interested.

Cheers,

Ed

Unless they are machine cut they will have ragged edges anyway so the exact dimensions is not really relevant, you will find the 900 ones need bigger joints but you can keep it all within a reasonable tolerance.
Also when you point them consider using some mortar dye, as the grey mortar is unlikely to match the stone well.

Sponsored Links
Lay the edgings and Acco drains on the square side, then work from that area outwards, overlay flags in the angled areas and cut in a line after they are laid, then lay edging/acco trying to avoid lots of tiny pieces and having to measure each cut individually, try and stick to a laying pattern it will make it easier and avoid lots of head scratching, and if you have excess certain sizes you may find you can use these up on the perimeter cuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back