Laying Pipe in Concrete Floor with No Joins

F

flednanders

Hi-diddly-ho!

This forum sure is swell. In some other posts, I've read authors talk about laying pipe in concrete floors by channeling it out with an angle grinder and putting either plastic pipe or densotape coated copper pipe in the channel.

Golly, that could be a great solution to a problem Jesus has seen to test my way with: satan worshiping council builders cunningly hiding my unsightly walls with reams of copper central heating pipe. But, I have some questions I wondered if you could help with?

1. How far away from a wall must a chase be that it is running parallel to?
2. How do people put pipe in the ground without any joins? Doesn't it have to have at least a join when it exits the ground and if it wasn't in there already, when it enters the ground too?
3. Can you chase up from the bottom of a wall just like down from the top for a short distance to conceal a pipe? I'm guessing yes, but Maude would kill me if our home came tumbling down.
4. How deep do the pipe chases in the floor have to be?
5. I've read posts about Hep20, speedfit and copper. If this is possible to do without joins somehow like other posts say, then I don't see why copper would be any better than plastic for this, but I'm not a plumber after al! Which material would you use?

Thank you very much to those who help on here. You are top people people for sharing your wisdom like that.

Dowdy Hoody,

Fled Nanders

Sponsored Links
Well, golly gosh there's a lot of people looking at this, but nobody who is saying anything! So, here is the best information I have found so far for others who find this post, unfortunately I still can't answer all my own questions but I can mostly answer 2 and 5.

It seems that when they say no joins in the floor, they don't in fact mean no joins. they have "junction boxes" where they, well, er, join the pipes. But this isn't called a join or maybe it isn't called "in the floor"!

From this thread we ge tthe recommendation of the Hep2o pipe system which you can read about here.

And to answer a little bit of 4, you should allow 20mm for your pipes to expand, except those conduits would seem to only allow 10mm, and lets be real here, whoever has seen a copper 15mm pipe grow to over twice it's size at 35mm, I'm sure the 10mm the conduit leaves is good enough.

Sponsored Links
1. How far away from a wall must a chase be that it is running parallel to?

As you see fit - there's no recommended distance' but if you're going to be teeing into it, about 150mm should give you enough room to play with.
2. How do people put pipe in the ground without any joins? Doesn't it have to have at least a join when it exits the ground and if it wasn't in there already, when it enters the ground too?
A joint has to be accessable for inspection and maintenance
3. Can you chase up from the bottom of a wall just like down from the top for a short distance to conceal a pipe? I'm guessing yes, but Maude would kill me if our home came tumbling down.
yes - it is highly unlikely that you need to chase more than 30-40mm deep
4. How deep do the pipe chases in the floor have to be?
60-75mm or so will be deep enough
5. I've read posts about Hep20, speedfit and copper. If this is possible to do without joins somehow like other posts say, then I don't see why copper would be any better than plastic for this, but I'm not a plumber after al! Which material would you use?
some prefer old fashioned tried and trusted stuff, like copper. It doesn't really matter too much providing that it's installed properly and there is sufficient room to make repairs.
Thank you very much to those who help on here. You are top people people for sharing your wisdom like that.Dowdy Hoody,

Fled Nanders
if you want more help, "speak" properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back