Laying reclaimed floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm thinking I've buying reclaimed pine floorboards and laying these over my existing floorboards with underlay underneath. They are available in square edge and tongue and groove format as well as a couple of different widths.

Does anyone have any advice or things to avoid, how difficult a job is this to do as I am a complete novice.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hello I'm thinking I've buying reclaimed pine floorboards and laying these over my existing floorboards with underlay underneath. They are available in square edge and tongue and groove format as well as a couple of different widths.

Does anyone have any advice or things to avoid, how difficult a job is this to do as I am a complete novice.

Thanks.

It's not usual to install reclaimed floorboards over existing floorboards, and you'll need to muck about with doors, architrave and skirting as the floor will be an inch higher.

You'd be better off laying thinner wooden flooring on the existing floorboards.

Have you considered sanding the original floorboards?

Cheers
Richard

I think you'd need to fasten them down (especially if you get square edge), which would negate any benefit from underlay. Laminate has a carefully machined interlocking tab arrangement that won't allow any boards to lift - while the normal tongue & groove offers no such restriction. Thus any loose-lay boards would be free to "flip up".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back