Laying slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay some slabs in my garden but am unsure of how to do the base.

The area is grassed at the moment.

Tips on levelling would be great too. :D

Sponsored Links
what sort of paving slabs are you intending to use?

If you watch ground force Tommy Walsh just uses his "special mixture", 3 sharp, 2 soft, 1 cement, and puts it directly on the soil, that is after they have stripped the turf off.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
If you watch ground force Tommy Walsh just uses his "special mixture", 3 sharp, 2 soft, 1 cement, and puts it directly on the soil, that is after they have stripped the turf off.
Yeah, I've seen it done that way many times, I can't help wondering what the long term effect will be on the soil, maybe what I do is an overkill when I used hardcore or Mot 1 type roadstone etc?

if they are an even thickness and its only for foot traffic, the easiest method is to use a compacted screeded sharp sand bed.
Strip the turf off and compact the area with a whacker plate. Lay a sharp snad bed over the area and set up screeding rails to get the levels and falls you need. Overfill the area with sharp sand and compact it with the whacker. screed over the area to get a level base, by drawing a flat edge that rests on the rails across the sand. You should now have a level compacted base, which you can lay the slabs onto. Avoid walking on it and lay the slabs so you walk on them as they are laid across the area. Any exposed edges need to be wet laid onto cement mortar. Adding sharp sand is a good idea as it strengthens the mix.
finally point in the joints with a cement sand mortar (1:3)

Blimey that was the abridged version. Have a look at a few posts down theres a thread already started on it.

nice to see you back breezer :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back