Laying solid walnut on asphalt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've spent a good few hours 'googling' for a solution to my query but I keep seeing conflicting advice.

I've got some 20mm solid walnut floor that I want to lay onto asphalt (approx 15mm thick on top of concrete). The asphalt is level and dry and ideally I'd like to float the floor on top of Floortech Gold Plus underlay, glueing the T&G as I go. Is this sensible or am I way off the mark?

A few retail websites advise that solid floors should be glued down or nailed onto batons (this is my least favoured approach due to low ceiling height), saying that glueing the T&G doesn't allow the floor to move and should only be used for engineered floors. It seems common sense to me that a T&G glued floating floor with expansion gaps would allow for more movement than securing the planks individually to the subfloor.

Finally, if I can glue the T&G's, do I need to lay a certain amount of rows and allow them to dry before carrying on or can I lay the floor in one go and will they require clamping?

Apologies for the mammoth post, really don't want to cock this one up.

Thanks in advance, Phil.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back