Solid oak flooring onto asphalt????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I bought some solid oak flooring (18mm t&g) and was told I could float this onto my asphalt (70's house) using some boarding to cushion and sound proof it. Started this yesterday and have done about 5 rows but now been told it has to be glued down. all work stopped to prevent me wasting more money!

Please help and advise the best way.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What are the measurements of the wood floor you bought? I need width and length of boards and if random lengths please tell me how the boards are divided over these lengths (eg: between 300 - 1200mm long and each pack contains 1 board of 1200mm, xx of 600mm, xx of 300mm etc)

Depending on this we can advice you if floating is still an option (however if you bought what I think you bought you're indeed in "trouble")

Firstly, thank you for replying. Not at home so can't tell you exact lengths but they are random lengths, between approx 300mm and 1.2m. They are approx 16cm width. Think each box has different in as opened 3 boxes and only got one full length plank.

Would rather know now to stop. Thanks

Do check the number of shortest lengths, if over 30% is really short you will have too many joints (hinges) and should glue the floor down.

How thick is the asphalt (bitumen) layer, is it "flexible"? If not, why not overlay with plywood and then glue down you floor?

Sponsored Links
The asphalt is 18-19mm thick, sorry no idea if flexible????????

Just opened 2 packs and each pack had different lengths in:

First had: 6 x 300mm, 3 x 400mm and 7 x 900mm

Second had: 5 x 400mm, 5 x 550mm, 5 x 65mm, 2 x 800mm

Don't really want to board the floor as well - if unable to float the above will take up and start again (boo hoo)

thanks

With those many short lengths it is not recommended to "float" the floor, sorry.

Flexible adhesive (but not straight on asphalt though!) like Mapei P990

simple fix....
neat neoprene primer on asphalt, about £5, 3mm laytex screed on top, about £5 per/m2 all available from F-ball.co.uk. or google it, theres loads of places to get it. Fit floor with adhesive as before. Just check the adhesive you have is compatible, if not, f-ball have that too.

Hi

I bought some solid oak flooring (18mm t&g) and was told I could float this onto my asphalt (70's house) using some boarding to cushion and sound proof it. Started this yesterday and have done about 5 rows but now been told it has to be glued down. all work stopped to prevent me wasting more money!

Please help and advise the best way.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back