Fitting Oak Planking onto Asphalt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to fit solid oak planking bought from Costco onto an asphalt floor. Can anyone advise on the best way to do this? The largest single area is 5 x 5 metres.

Sponsored Links
Hi Paulbanco and welcome to this forum.

With asphalt, you mean bitumen (residue or 'thick'layer)?

Is it sticky? And level?

If level and not to sticky (or smelly) put a dmp and sound-insulation down first and install the boards with the floating method (glueing the T&G's)

Sponsored Links
It is level, not sticky and I will go ahead with the floating method. Thank you very much for your advice.

One last piece of information. I intend to install this floor from 'front to back' on the ground floor of my house. Starts off in a small vestibule 1.5x1.5metres, goes into the living room 5x5metres then finishing up in the dining room 3x4metres.

Is this too large an area for a floating floor?

It's then best to install a trheshold between the rooms to prevent any movement in one area effecting the other in a 'strange' way

sorry to show my obvious ignorance but could you advise on how much over and above the actual area I need to order for wastage?

Thanks

Between 5 - 7 %, depending on how wide the boards are and how long the longest wall.

someone has suggested I can use Bonabond S760 adhesive and glue direct to the floor, is this an option in your opinion?

Like lecol the Bona S750 is a spirit based adhesive. Both manufacturers mention it can be used for wood blocks and strips up to 90mm wide (their precaution ;))
Glueing the floor down is an option, your 'weakest' link is the quality of the underfloor. We still recommend to use thresholds between rooms.

I'm going to go with your recommendation and install a floating floor.

Do I need any special compression/clamping tools to bring the t&g's together or will it be ok knocked in tight with a spare piece of plank and a hammer?

Once again, thanks for your help, absolutely invaluable.

It's best to use a knocking block and pulling bar (DIY-sets also available at most sheds) instead of a hammer to prevent damages.
Let us know the results!

Hello WoodYouLike

Better late than never, thought you may like to know how your advice panned out. In a word. Brilliant, the floor was installed three months ago as per your advice and recommendations.

I think it was worth the extra money and effort to get a solid oak plank instead of laminate and the floating floor works just great.

Thanks for all your help.

Got some nice pictures but don't know how to insert into this message.

Nice to hear Paulbanco, thanks.

(you could email me some of the pictures, see my profile for address)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back