Fitting Oak Planking onto Asphalt

Paul's results:

paul%2002.jpg
paul01.jpg
paul03.jpg

Looks great, Paul!

Sponsored Links
That really looks like an excellent job Paul. Can you offer any tips and words of advice to a novice who will be doing the same job soon (ie, anything you wish you knew before you started that would have made life easier).

thanks
sanjay

Looks the business Paul.
Just out of interest, is that a Toshiba picture frame TV? It looks the same as mine.

Hello Sanjay

Thanks for the compliment, if you need any technical advice I would rely on WoodYouLike, same as I did. If I'd have been in the same end of the country I would probably have bought all of my materials from them as well.

Would I have done it any different? I would've bought a wider plank, the floor you see in the picture is only 80mm wide, wider plank, less cutting and gluing.

I would also pay more money and get premium quality wood. The packages I bought have some knots.

The rest was common sense, top quality radial arm saw with a good TCT blade and at lease 8 strap clamps.

Gcol, thanks for your compliment too, and yes it's a Toshiba television.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Paul. That's useful to know.

I don't have a radial arm saw and was just planning to use an ordinary jigsaw (+handsaw). Do you think that is adequate (although i'm sure things will be much slower)? Also, I think WoodULike said that clamps weren't strictly necessary since you can simply knock the pieces of wood together using a knocking block. Can you confirm this woodulike?

thanks
sanjay

Yep, that's right, as long as you are careful when walking over the installed boards so the glue gets enough time to bond. (Depends of course on the quality of the boards you buy how 'hard' you have to knock them together).

Jigsaw (a good one) is fine for most jobs,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back