Laying steps outside backdoor and patio doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have one small job to finish on an extension. The builder is no longer available so having to do this myself. There is a patio door and a back door with about 18 inch drop and currently no step and I need to put a step in to pass building control. Does anyone know how far down the step needs to be from the bottom of the door to meet regulations and for the water not to get in.

Thanks a lot.

Doug.

Sponsored Links
Your going to need more than one step.

There are two ways to do it, either step out of the door and down onto the first step 6" below the floor level and then on down to another step. Or make the first step at around floor height do you step out level which I more comfortable but then you will need 3 steps.

3 steps 6" high is better than 2 at 9" which is really too high in my opinion. 9" is certainly too high for a first step out of a door so if you do go for 2x9" then do the platform arrangement.

Obviously the more steps the further into the patio they will stretch.

Thank you, I wasn't sure if we were allowed to make the first step level with floor level due to water maybe getting in etc but that's great. I think its definitely safer stepping out onto the same level. Thanks for your help.

If you make it the same height you have to watch for water. If you make it an inch lower you only need to worry about splashing water. If you make it 6 inches lower then you're fine for all water.
Is the area sheltered for rain? If not you would need to think about where it's going to splash to.

Sponsored Links
Doors have thresholds you know, someone has thought about water running into them before...

As for building your step its usually best to insert a sheet of dpc vertically against the wall behind the step to stop bridging the house dpc

Sorry I meant to write splashing not running. You can end up with penetrating damp around the door way that people think is rising, but it's actually from water splashing up the reveals.

okay great, thanks for the advice. Job for this weekend.

You want the first step as tight under the sill as possible especially if the doors are UPVC, i.e. high threshold.
You do not want to avoid any amount of step down as your first step out of the building.

Hi, I have attached a picture. If i put the step in just under the pvc door then this will be above dpc level. Is this okay or do i need the top of the step to be below dpc? Also going by the picture would it be best to make the step the same width as the opening or slightly wider? Thanks again.

Hi I have attached an image. Tight under the pvc door would be above dpc level, is this okay to do? also, oging by the picture would you have the step hte same width as the opening or slightly wider?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-2_9-47-49.png
    upload_2016-12-2_9-47-49.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,117
  • upload_2016-12-2_9-47-55.png
    upload_2016-12-2_9-47-55.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 771

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back