Laying Type 1 MOT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking for some advice on this.

I'm looking at putting some Type 1 MOT down myself, and at the same time I'll be having someone in to fit a patio. The two things are unrelated, but he's suggested he can dig the whole thing up for me as he'll have the digger anyway. Makes sense.

The whole area that I'm digging by hand (or was going to) would be coming up anyway, but originally I was going to just dig the area that I was putting type 1 in, fill it, compact etc. The remaining soil would hold it in place whilst I compact it. I'd then finish off the project, which was digging 30cm border around the type 1 where I'd install a decorational stone border.

I'm not sure how I'll do it if he just removes it all, as there'll be nothing to hold the type 1 in the area I need it. What do people usually do?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I understand how the site will look prior to laying the MOT, but you could use lengths of timber around the perimeter to hold the MOT back, held in place with stakes sunk into the ground? Another (permanent) solution is to use paving slabs on their sides sunk into the ground? They can be put in so the tops are level with the height of the dry sand/cement mix that goes on top of the MOT. That's what I did with mine anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back