No whacker plate - no MOT type 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a few slabs down to make a short path, very light traffic.

After reading posts on this forum I believe I need to compact about 50 to 75mm of MOT type1, because I am on clay soil.

I don't want to hire a whacker plate for a small area and I can't buy small amounts of MOT type 1.

If I was to dig out to say 50mm and mix all-in-ballast with cement, say 5:1, and stamp this down under foot, then lay the slabs on top.

Do you think it will be okay.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think you need to clarify 'light traffic'. Do you mean light foot traffic or light vehicle traffic?

You can make a hand tamper out of timber, just a length of 3" X 3", or similar. Used upright so you're tamping with the end.

Well tamped with a hand tamper, I suspect, if you went more like 75mm, or bedded on mortar, it would be OK for foot traffic only.

Yes, light foot traffic.

I will definately bed on morter.

I can tamp down the 5:1 ballast/cement, then 30mm mortar.

How deep should I go with the ballast cement; 50mm or 75mm.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Bearing in mind I'm only a DIY'er, but I think 50mm will be OK given the other info' provided.

You might consider using a fabric to prevent weeds growing in the joints. Fabric should go down below your ballast mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back