Whacker Plate - Garden Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just started my own garden project. Dug out 1.5ft deepx23ft widex16ft long and about 16 tonne of soil to create a patio.

Put in 6 tonne of hard core (mot type 1) and about to buy a whacker plate.

Seen one in B&Q for £160 that has 10n pressure. Is that going to be enough for hardcore or will i need something more powerful?

Matt

Sponsored Links
Hi why dont you hire a wacker plate the men in the hire shop will be able to recommend the right one

I'm with rich22, hire one, tell them how thick your hardcore is and they'll sort one out for you.

I've hired one for last weekend from HSS in Bracknell. I think it was £20 for the weekend. That and a full sized mixer for three days was £50. Why buy something you will only use once or twice the rest of the time it rots in your garage.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I can see where you are coming from but my back garden is being done in 2 lots. Part closest to the house first the part behind that. I called HSS locally and it was £40 inc of vat for the weekend. If it costs me £40 to hire and then i need to hire it again for the back part thats £80 total and then i need to redo my slabs on the front thats another £40 , thats £120 total. I think spending the £160 is a better idea as i have it full stop then and family can take advantage of that. The deciding factor is if it will be good enough for hardcore as its 10nt of pressure.

Matt

So it will be fine for a patio? Do you say fine for foot traffic because it isnt powerful enough to compact the hardcore very very tight to make it hard enough to take the weight of a car for instance?

will be fine, just may need a few more passes. have you got a link to it?

Hi,

I bought the b&q wacker plate and it was terrible. Wouldnt even wacker the hardcore down at all. I ended up going HSS and hiring theirs which worled faultlessly.

Wouldi be able to return it to b&q as it didnt do what it said?

Matt

Hi,

I bought the b&q wacker plate and it was terrible. Wouldnt even wacker the hardcore down at all. I ended up going HSS and hiring theirs which worled faultlessly.

Matt

yes they would, although as its not faulty you might end up getting a credit note back and not cash

Hi,

Matt

yes they would, although as its not faulty you might end up getting a credit note back and not cash

That would be grossly unfair dont you think?

Its not as described and is not fit for the purpose it was intended.

Matt

er tell them that then!

Do you always contribute to peoples threads with a nonsense input?

You have 7000+ posts! I wonder what they all contain!

Ive just spoken to b&q and they have said i can take it back for a FULL refund. Happy days :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back