Laying underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just a quick question with regards to the above. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have been given some nearly new underlay by a friend and some grippers. Was just wondering how to fix it. I think the longer nails go into the flooring and then the small tacks would be facing upwards to affix carpet to, is this correct?
Also the wooden strip has one edge at an angle, does the underlay fit under this lip and then the carpet go on top.Sorry about the crap description but I ain't no carpet fitter.
Cheers Marc

Sponsored Links
the gully on the gripper should face the wall. You will also notice the gripper pins will face the wall. Gripper gap between the wall and gripper should be 3/4quarters the thickness of the carpet. (approx 5-7mm) Next roll out your underlay (should be streched and stapled or glued around the perimeter) Cut in tight to the edge of gripper. Make sure you lay the correct way up, it will normally tell you or keep the writing on it facing up.

Cheers for that matty just a couple of other questions.
Sorry to be a pain.
When laying the carpet do I tuck the edges between the gripper and the gap to the wall so it folds back under the gripper gully.
Also any tips on fitting near doorways which have the metal room divider bars.
Would appreciate any help. Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back