laying vinyl in a bathroom with floorboards in place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I would like to lay some vinyl over the floorboards in my bathroom. A tradesman said you should cover them with hardboard first which he would staple to the floorboards. However someone else has told me to screw the hardboard down which must be shiny side DOWN , preferably dampened so its a tight fit when laid and when dry will be flattish because when dry it will shrink giving room between the sheets , and to counter sink using screws to attach otherwise it will be "bouncy in places where the hardboard buckles underneath where its bowed

If he just staples it down , either side up , doesnt wet it , etc will it be ok ? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Use 6mm WBP plywood mate, nailed with ring shanks or screwed every 6"
Won't cost that much more and alot stronger then hardboard.

If the floorboards are so uneven as to allow bowing then you need at least 12mm ply, screwed down.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies. No the flloorboards are not really uneven , they are not dead level either but certainly are not badly uneven

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back