which way should hardboard be laid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
about to lay hardboard in my bathroom for vinyl to sit on. i have been told i need to wipe a sponge with water on over the shiny side of the board then leave it to soak in before fitting to stop expansion at a later date. but what side shouldbe laid down, i guess the shiny side on the floor so the rough side will grip the vinyl or underlay better? cheers Steve

Sponsored Links
If you are fastening the boards down, start in the middle and work out, this should prevent lifting in the middle.

good tip WC! funny enough i had just seen my carpet layer so i asked him he said it don;t matter but prefers the rough side up as it holds the underlay in place, once down its not a problem but sometimes it moves whilst laying the carpet. he did also say tho that if i lay vinyl over any the nail heads will countersink into the rough side easier and therefor will not show through like it could do with the shiny side. thanks for your help tho.

Sponsored Links
no thanks had no problems with him in the past. also diggin on this forum its seems there is mixed reviews about which side to use some same shiny, others say rough, must be personal choice i guess.

why use hardboard to start with it is too flimsy and just follows the shape of the sub floor 6mm ply would be a better option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back