New Bathroom Floor Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our new bathroom, about 8 weeks ago I fitted Wickes 305mm x 305mm self-adhesive Vinyl tiles.

We followed the Wickes instructions to the letter by laying the tiles on the shiny side of a new hardboard base laid on top of the floorboards. There are no visible gaps between the tiles and I've used silicone sealant at joints with shower cubicle, toilet pan and sink pedestal.

The problem is that in one small area, I'm almost certain the hardboard has got slightly wet and swollen. It's at a seam between two tiles --- and it feels raised in this area. So my question is, how are you meant to stop water seeping down between two adjacent tiles and affecting the hardboard base?

I can't fault the tiles, they are tightly laid with no visible gaps between them and their adhesive is holding firm...but I'm sure water will find a way of getting between them.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Sponsored Links
It's a good idea to coat the hardboard with varnish then let it dry - but too late now I fear.

The day people/manufacturers start to use plywood and not hard board will be the day that we stop having problems like this. Hard board is to moister sensitive with no shear strength. I know this does not help your situation, So for future reference use plywood instead.
O and joe - You shouldn't use varnish/ paint etc. They can react with the adhesive and also the vinyl tile causing discoloring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back