Laying vinyl planks over laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I layed a floating laminate floor in my kitchen about 5 years ago. It wasn't true laminate, it had a small layer of real wood on the top - the stuff from Ikea.

With general wear and tear and a few puppy accidents the time has come to put something newer down.

I've found some nice vinyl flooring tiles in Wickes and wondered if I can lay them straight on top of the old laminate.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/beige-luxury-vinyl-flooring/invt/225343/?tapopen=cm

I know this sounds like a bodge job, but the sub floor is 'new house' chipboard and the laminate is flat and firm - no bouncing, warping or lifting. The vinyl flooring from Wickes doesn't require any glue, it hasn't got any adhesive sheets on it - it's just a click together system.

With the price of ply putting me off using tiles, I'd hoped I wouldn't have to use ply under the vinyl either.

What's the score people? Will it work if I lay the non-adhesive vinyl planks on top of the old laminate?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Sponsored Links
Some Mfr's OK laying over laminate, others dont. Read the instructions or contact the Mfr's.

I wouldn't do it as a professional job because of the risk of a call back - but if you go ahead, and it doesn't suit, then you will still have intact laminate and intact vinyl to have a re-think.

note: your FFL will be higher

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back