Laying vinyl over laminate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have glued laminate in the kitchen, I would like to lay vinyl on top is this possible, I looking for a quick easy fix!

Sponsored Links
the simple answer is yes, but why not just take up the laminate flooring, i appreciate that its glued but it will styill come up, but yes you can lay your lino over the laminate

thanks for the fast response. I thought if I left the laminate down, it would save putting down something else to level the floor as I have floorboards underneath?

thanks for the fast response. I thought if I left the laminate down, it would save putting down something else to level the floor as I have floorboards underneath?

Hi, i have seen many people just lay vinyl/lino straight onto floorboards, as i have also seen people lay lino over a carpet ( when i had to tile bathroom floors and lifted the vinyl/lino, carpet was underneath.

But if it saves you time and possibly money, just lay the vinyl /lino straight onto your laminate, just try to avoid getting air trapped between both as you will end up with what look like blisters showing through

Sponsored Links
Well, if you're looking for a quick easy fix then laying vinyl ontop of laminate, it certainly will be. It sounds like you have already made your mind up. The right way to do it would be to remove laminate, lay 6mm ply then your vinyl, which is the way I install Karndean or amtico, in which case the joints would almost certainly open up if laid onto laminate.

I suggest that if you're gonna bodge it then use sheet vinyl, not tiles or strips.

I'm with Bathstyle,, remove the laminate, lay plywood, then put down the new vinyl. Not a lot of extra cost involved overall, but at least the job's done right.

Hi, i have seen many people just lay vinyl/lino straight onto floorboards,
i would not recomend this as the profile of the floorboards will grin through

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back