laying ceramic tiles on 12" x 12" vinyl tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to lay Ceramic tiles over my existing Vinyl tiles
The Vinyl tiles are well stuck down and were laid in 1980 is it possible that they contain aspestos

Sponsored Links
It is possible if they are well fixed down but hardly desirable; it’s a bodge really & can lead to problems & you would do far better to take them up; what sort of floor are the tiles stuck to, concrete or suspended timber?

As for your tiles containign asbestos, this mainly applied to tiles manufactured before 1980 & were commonly 9-inch square but not all 9-inch square vinyl tiles contain asbestos. Even if they do, it’s going to be low risk as long as you remove them sensibly & wear a suitable mask.

Thanks Richard
The vinyl tiles are laid over an existing quarry tiled floor and are 12" x 12" in size

Thanks Richard
The vinyl tiles are laid over an existing quarry tiled floor and are 12" x 12" in size
I thought you said 9 x 9 :confused: ? But what sort or floor are the quarry tiles laid over, concrete? If you’ve already got vinyl over quarry, I’d remove the vinyl & consider removing the quarry tiles too; if not lay an SLC over the quarry (providing they are still well fixed) before re-tilling.

What size new tiles are you proposing?

Sponsored Links
The Quarry tiles are laid over a concrete floor the new ceramic tiles will be 12" x 12"

You tiles & tile size are nothing demanding but tile over tile is at best a bodge; so tile over Vinyl tile over quarry tile is? The adhesive you will need over vinyl is more expensive but if you add in the quarry tile factor it may work it may not. I’ve never done it & I’ve no idea, personally I wouldn’t chance it.

I wouldent call tiling over tiles a bodge. It happens sometimes on refurbs.

Tiling onto quarry tiles should not be a problem either.

I wouldent recommend going directly onto vinyl tiles though.

Depends who’s doing the refurb.
Depends on circumstances & how you go about it but each to their own.
Well at least we agree on that but it’s possible.

Sudden interesting awakening; not a relative of Rip Van Winkle are you :LOL:

OK thank you for your replies
I think I will remove the vinyl tiles and use a SLC over the quarry tiles can you recommend a good self levelling compound

Depends who’s doing the refurb.
Depends on circumstances & how you go about it but each to their own.
Well at least we agree on that but it’s possible.

Sudden interesting awakening; not a relative of Rip Van Winkle are you :LOL:

Don't really understand the Rip Van Winkle dig. I was here looking up something else on another thread and thought id answer a couple of tiling questions as I was here. Is that not allowed????.

Depends on whos doing the refurb: Major construction companies & all manor of refurbishment companies do this, not often but it happens. Usually to keep costs down. Do you do any pricing on a large commerical scale or deal with QS's?

Each to their own: As a sub-contractor we do what is specified. We used specified materials suitable for application. If were in any doubt as were on a 5% retention we check with the technical department of a particular supplier depending on what were using.

To call tiling on Quarry Tiles which are probably bedded with a cement mix a bodge job is a bit OTT, especially when the OP asking the question is probably a DIY'er doing something in his kitchen or a doorway. Does he really need to goto the lengths of gunning up quarry tiles when he has already said they are sound?

Don't really understand the Rip Van Winkle dig. I was here looking up something else on another thread and thought id answer a couple of tiling questions as I was here. Is that not allowed????.
Take a chill pill :cool: It wasn’t intended as a dig, more a light hearted observation that you reappeared from nowhere after a 2 year silence.

Major construction companies & all manor of refurbishment companies do this, not often but it happens. Usually to keep costs down. Do you do any pricing on a large commerical scale or deal with QS's? As a sub-contractor we do what is specified. We used specified materials suitable for application. If were in any doubt as were on a 5% retention we check with the technical department of a particular supplier depending on what were using.
Although I have the possibility of working new builds I would never touch them; I prefer & only do domestic renovation work (which includes most trades), mostly high spec. Never done or would consider commercial work, would certainly be out of my comfort zone & possibly out of my depth.

To call tiling on Quarry Tiles which are probably bedded with a cement mix a bodge job is a bit OTT, especially when the OP asking the question is probably a DIY'er doing something in his kitchen or a doorway. Does he really need to goto the lengths of gunning up quarry tiles when he has already said they are sound?
It’s my personal view (along with many others) that tiling over tiles of any sort is a bit of a bodge. But, as I said, if the quarry tiles are sound, tiling over is entirely possible but it could lead to problems for a DIY if incorrect prep/materials are used & could be all over the place if uneven & large format tiles are being laid.

Richard,

Appologies if I took that the wrong way.

I know all the M40 specs, BS Standards and manufactuers recommendations. However, we all know that theres are not always stuck to on sites, and even more so on refurbs. How long do you wait for a plastered wall to dry out before you tile on it??

If tiles are sound, there is no reason why they cannot be tiled onto. Thats a pure simple fact, not a bodge. Not best practice granted but for a diy'er not much of an issue. Can you see an office boy gunning up quarries?? :LOL:

On the self levelling, id recommend a 2 part myself, then the mixture should be the right consistency every time. Machine mixed.

I don't believe the BS about Bal being the best. I've been lucky enough to visit a lot of adhesive manufacturers here in the UK and a lot of own brands are manufacturered by the likes of Granfix, Palace and the like. I have a preference for Bal grout but thats about it. I don't know any tilers who prefer Blue star over Supergrip???? They all offer standard guarantees and have technical backup.

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back