Laying wooden flooring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some help and advice . . .

Am not an expert DIY'er but i'm making an effort. Having painted most of my new build house (after 4 years of living here!) we (she!) has decided that we want wooden (or laminate) flooring downstairs. Will be taking up the existing carpet but have a good quality underlay underneath it.

Several questions:-

1) Can i leave existing underlay down.
2) Do i need to put anything else under it.
3) What's the best way to cover the gap at the skirting boards, beading? Does wood to existing white gloss painted skirts look right or do i need to replce the skirting boards.
4) What kit do i need.
5) Will i survive this challenge or do you reckon i need to get an expert in.
6) Finally, we're looking at Ikea stuff, is there anywhere better.

Thanks in anticpation of your support,

NN.

Sponsored Links
tell her you dont want it / cant have it (then send me £50)

how will you access any services under the floor?

will she want to walk round wearing ear defenders?
(carpets kill a lot of noise, laminate floor echoes it)

why do you have to keep up with the joneses'

breezer said:
tell her you dont want it / cant have it (then send me £50)

how will you access any services under the floor?

will she want to walk round wearing ear defenders?
(carpets kill a lot of noise, laminate floor echoes it)

why do you have to keep up with the joneses'

Well, that's answers most of my questions with one simple plan of attack . . . i'll consider it! Thankyou, breezer.

for what you spend on a crap laminate floor you could get a decent real wood one

Sponsored Links
And if Breezers advice fails you, come back here with your remaining questions. They will be answered as best and simple as possible (I think ;) )

NorthernNovice said:
1) Can i leave existing underlay down.
2) Do i need to put anything else under it.
3) What's the best way to cover the gap at the skirting boards, beading? Does wood to existing white gloss painted skirts look right or do i need to replce the skirting boards.
4) What kit do i need.
5) Will i survive this challenge or do you reckon i need to get an expert in.
6) Finally, we're looking at Ikea stuff, is there anywhere better.

1) I wouldnt you can choose from several different types of laminate underlay depending on where you are laying your flooring.
2)No just underlay or if in a basement or concrete floor (Damp) you can get a membrane to stop your flooring getting soggy :(
3)Most places that sell flooring will also sell colour matched beading to compliment your style of floor. Some even sell colour matched skirting.
4)Saw, rule, pencil, knife, fitting wedges, block and tapper(dependant on the type of flooring you buy), Tea or beer (supplied by she ;))
5)Its not too difficult to lay the "click"style of flooring so you should be OK. Depends on how lazy you are. V.satisfying when you have finished knowing YOU did it. (Xtra points aswell)
6)Loads of places to buy laminate or realwood flooring. Do you realy want to trapse round Ikea for hrs????

And Laminate or Wood floors arnt that noisy, as long as you arnt tap dancing ;)

Hope this helps

Good luck

NorthernNovice said:
we (she!) has decided that we want wooden (or laminate) flooring downstairs. .

She (you) will increase the value of your home more with wood (engineered) flooring than with laminated (Melamine - plastic with paper print of wood).

Tipster said:
5)Its not too difficult to lay the "click"style of flooring so you should be OK. Depends on how lazy you are. V.satisfying when you have finished knowing YOU did it. (Xtra points aswell)

And Laminate or Wood floors arnt that noisy, as long as you arnt tap dancing ;)

Beg to differ with answer 5 ;) Check other forum answers on this subject. Most fitters are (and will always be) in favour of normal T&G flooring, specially in hallways, near radiators, two opposite doorways and in rooms which don't have straight walls (and which rooms doesn't ;)

Use a 'sound' (sound)insulation (with DPM on concrete underfloors) to avoid most footfall noise, leave expansion gaps at the edges (don't forget them around radiator-pipes and doorways, sound travels through all kinds of materials).

please note forum rules 17 & 20

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back