ldv pilot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi got a problem iv got a dw8 engine with 2 bent valves, now could i change the dw8 for an xud engine, or should i just change the head but been quoted £500/600 witch i think is OTT, can anybody advise please. :(

Sponsored Links
You may not get away with a replacement head, the piston that bent the valves may be damaged?
What happened, did it slip the timing?

Sorry, I'm not up to speed with the engine codes, but someone will fill you in

hi thanks for reply cam belt slipped couple teath so the garage put a new cam belt kit on and told me to sell the van but i like the van and spent lot of money,other reply yes would be cheaper to get another van but this van never fails mot .

Sponsored Links
hi yes i could but its space iv only got 2 car drive and i don't think landlord would like it sorry mate.

The XUD and DW8 have significant differences really - if I was putting a new motor in, I'd go for a DW8 replacement and keep the original injector pump.
If you want to keep that van, I'd go for an exchange head or repair the old one.
John :)

hi john thanks for replying might be cheaper to get the head done i would like to keep the van ,

As its been suggested before, have a look at the pistons once the head is off, looking for collision marks - although thats rarely important on a diesel unless its very bad.
Obviously new oil and coolant will be needed plus a head gasket set. If there's only two valves done in, its quite a straightforward repair.
Its always a quandry, situations like this.....whether to scrap or repair. There's no simple answer but I hope it doesn't cost you too much!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
thanks john i can't scrap it to much money in it over the years, iv been told its just 2 valves ,its very rattly on top and a pig to start if you know what i mean, i hope it don't cost to much as well i don't trust the garages any more, all you do is get ripped off.

That could be the way to go Peter - of course the valve clearances would need checking with the old cam installed.....and up go the labour costs :cry:

what more money, thing is the garage had my van because a pig to start and rattly on top, then get told cam belt jumped 2 teeth was loose and needed changeing so he put a new cam belt kit on and £274 later was told get rid of van, so what a waste of money.

Hmmm the XUD and DW8 motors are as tough as nails and historically good starters.
Rattly on top can only really be the valve clearances....shims on these and once done they are good for many, many miles.
Poor starting is due to poor compressions, dud glowplugs and as an outsider, injector spray patterns. Cranking speed is of course a factor.
I've never had any engine jump timing belt teeth - so long as the tension is correct, this just doesn't happen.....shedding teeth or snapping belts then yes - with age.
If you get a second hand head, you don't know if it needs to be skimmed (due to overheating) or whether it is cracked....its a gamble.

hi john like i said i don't trust garages any more, iv had new glow plugs then went and got some injectors had them checked good injectors but from an xud not dw8 i do try do work on my own vehicles but with my arthritis playing up i find it hard lately, thanks again john.

Sponsored Links
Back