hi ldv pilot problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi iv got ldv pilot you start in in the morning it runs like its on 3 cylinders and knocking up top and lots of white/ blue smoke but if you drive 1/4 mile smoke stops it just runs better, can anybody tell me whats wrone with it please. :(

Sponsored Links
Heater plugs, or coolant temp sensor, or partial air lock in the fuel line, or injector pump timing. Best to get it plugged in and read the fault codes. Hopefully it will show up something, otherwise you are just guessing.

When you say it run's better after 1/4 mile, is it running perfectly or is it still uneven, do you know what engine it uses?

Peter

Sponsored Links
hi guys thanks for that iv put in new glow plugs its just i left van for 2 days then started it and it was like that, iv checked fuel pipes changed 1 pipe but can't see air in the clear pipes.

hi peter after about 1/4 mile yes it runs great like it should its the dw8 engine 1900 diesel got rid of the egr valve so thats not the problem. :?:

I'd still check each glow plug individually first - you are looking to see around 1 ohm on each plug.
Next, check the time duration of voltage to the plugs.....on a cold morning it should be around 8 sec.
John :)

hi john when you say 1 ohm um whats that in volts plz , iv only got a volt meter mate :oops:

To test the plugs, you need to have a meter capable of reading very low resistances, I'm afraid....the ohm being the unit of resistance.
Your voltmeter is fine for reading the voltage reaching the plugs, but no use after that. Any cheapo multimeter will do!
Do you think its the same cylinder thats grumpy every time, or are you not certain?
John :)

hi john i think its the same cylinder every time, iv tryed cracking the injectors off but it just dies till i do them up again if you no what i mean, but i do that 1 at a time

Heater plug test

As above

Or a flying lead with a fuse fitted from the positive terminal on the battery, to each plug. You should see current flow (a spark) when you connect/disconnect.
Don't leave it connected for to long, (a second at the most or you may blow the plugs) and don't touch the engine or you will blow the fuse. The wire MUST have a fuse fitted for safety.

Sponsored Links
Back